Fall is almost here, kids are back to school and the cooler weather has already begun. As we enjoy everything this season has to offer it is important for us to remember to stay safe and warm throughout the cooler months.
Sitting around a nice warm fire place with a warm cup of hot chocolate does make the cold weather more bearable. Fire places are very relaxing and very enjoyable to sit around with the family and friends. But there are a few things to keep in mind if and when we use the fireplace:
Be sure to keep the area surrounding the fireplace clear of any flammable items, this could include furniture, toys, paper of any kind or even decorations.
Never leave small children unattended in a room where there is a live fire.
When you are finished with the fire, be sure to put it out and make sure all coals are extinguished thoroughly. If it is a gas burning fireplace make sure to have it turned off when not in use.
Be sure to have a fire extinguisher on hand, in case of emergency
Never leave the fire unattended
This being said, we hope you get full use of your fire place and enjoy the many perks it has to offer!
If you would like to learn more about this, please visit ottawa.ca/fire-safety-information